Planning & Development

For information on public notices or public hearings related to Planning & Development, please follow this link.

Planning & Development manages land use in the Town of St. Paul, including long-range planning and forecasting, reviewing development permits, subdivision applications, formulating land use plans and policies and conducting public consultation on proposed land use changes.

Planning in the Town of St. Paul (like all Alberta communities) is guided by a number of statutory documents.  All planning activities must conform with the regulations outlined in these planning documents.  Legislated planning documents including the Municipal Development Plan (MDP), the Land Use Bylaw (LUB), the Area Structure Plans (ASP), and Intermunicipal Development Plans (IDP).

Development Permits
A development permit is required for most forms of development within the Town. The Land Use Bylaw outlines the types of development allowed in each land use district and the rules and regulations governing those uses.  Not all proposed developments requires a development permit. Smaller sheds, fences and decks may not require a development permit. It is best to confirm with Planning & Development whether you need a permit for the development you are considering.    For a development permit application, please follow this link.

How long does it take to get a development permit?
It is important to plan ahead and submit your application well in advance of starting the development.  According to the Municipal Government Act, the Development Authority has 40 days in which to make a decision on a completed development permit application.  The 40 days begins after all the necessary information has been provided.  If a proposed development falls in the Permitted Uses classification, a Development Permit can be issued within the 40 day time limit.  Although, if your proposed development falls into the Discretionary Use classification or if a variance is being requested according to the Land Use Bylaw, approximately 2-4 months may be required to go through the permitting process (including the appeal period).

Any new home constructed after February 1, 2014, must comply with the New Home Warranty standards.

Subdivision is the process of dividing land into smaller parcels. A proposal might be as simple as subdividing one lot into two lots, but more often proposes a large number of new lots and roads in a developing neighbourhood. All subdivisions must follow the Town's Municipal Servicing standards.  Municipal Planning Services (MPS) is the approving authority for all subdivision applications. Individuals are encouraged to meet with Municipal Planning Services and the Town of St. Paul Planning & Development department prior to submitting an application.  For more information you may call Municipal Planning Services at 1-780-486-1991.  For a subdivision application form, please follow this link.

Safety Codes Permits
The Town of St. Paul is accredited by the Alberta Safety Codes Council.  The Town of St. Paul issues the safety codes permits in house.  Please see below for the various safety codes permit application forms.  Please contact Planning & Development to verify which safety codes permits are required for your project.  Work shall not commence without the proper permits in place.  Safety tips brochures can be found here.  A reminder once your permit has been issued, it is the applicant's responsibility to call for inspections throughout the project.
Building Permit Application
Electrical Permit Application
Gas Permit Application
Plumbing Permit Application

To book an inspection or if you have any questions regarding any of the codes, please call the Safety Codes Officer's (SCO) directly at:

Paul Griffith, Building SCO
Ph. 780-812-5259

Sandy Kossey, Electrical SCO
Ph. 780-614-8673

Brad Dingman, Plumbing & Gas SCO
Superior Safety Codes
Ph. 489-4777 ext 223

To obtain information on the upcoming changes effective December 1, 2017 for Residential Builders Licensing Program, please see this link.

Compliance Certificates
A Certificate of Compliance stamp on a Real Property Report is a confirmation that the location of the building(s) on the property complies with the requirements of the Land Use Bylaw. This is a service provided by the Town of St. Paul in response to a request (typically a requirement of a real estate transaction), and is not a requirement of the Town of St. Paul.  A Real Property Report (RPR) is a legal document that clearly illustrates the location of significant visible improvements relative to property boundaries. Written requests together with the fee of $80.00 and 2 original RPR's can be submitted to Planning & Development for review and consideration.  Please note that one original RPR will be retained by the Town for our records.  Please allow up to 10 business days for issuance of a Compliance Certificate.

Rezoning or Redistricting
Rezoning or redistricting is required if you wish to develop your site in a manner that is not allowed by the current zoning.  Zoning changes are subject to Council approval by bylaw.  The Municipal Government Act requires that Town Council hold a public hearing for all rezoning bylaws in accordance with Section 230 and 606.  At times, an Area Structure Plan must be submitted in order for a rezoning to occur.  The MDP is the primary long range planning document that establishes a future vision for the Town of St. Paul and guides overall growth and development for the Town.  

The MDP outlines when an Area Structure Plan is required.  Section 3.4:  Issue D: Logical and Planned Development - 3.4.2 Policies states:  "a. The Town shall require the preparation and adoption of Area Structure Plans for all new development areas prior to consideration of any rezoning, subdivision, or development projects within the Town."

Developing a property can be complex, it is recommended that you book an appointment with Planning & Development to review your proposed development prior to submitting an application.  For a Planning and Land Use application, please follow this link.

Please contact Aline Brousseau, Planner at 780-645-1766 or Jim Laidley, Permits at 780-645-1762 to book an appointment.

house  subdivision